The friendly between Germany and the Netherlands has been cancelled tonight after reports confirmed there was a serious bomb threat planned in the city.
People were evacuated from the stadium around half an hour before kick-off, with many reports suggesting that a suspicious object was found outside the stadium.
Police tell Sky Germany: "There were concrete plans for an explosion inside HDI Stadium", where Germany were playing Netherlands.— Lyall Thomas (@SkySportsLyall) November 17, 2015
Hanover's police chief confirmed that a 'concrete threat against the whole of Hanover' had been uncovered. He said the information concerned an explosives attack.
BREAKING NEWS: Germany/Holland game abandoned when police found truck bomb disguised as ambulance outside stadium. (via @Kreiszeitung )— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) November 17, 2015
Earlier in the day, police confirmed that there had been a bomb threat near the HDI-Arena when a 'suspicious suitcase' was found
Ambulance full of explosives found outside Hannover Stadium https://t.co/rCZLxP8SFm— Daily Mirror (@DailyMirror) November 17, 2015
Chilling news from Hanover, where Germany-Holland has been cancelled due to apparent terrorist threat https://t.co/u2rD2TLnI2— Oliver Kay (@OliverKayTimes) November 17, 2015
There (reportedly) was an ambulance found with plenty of explosives in Hannover's stadium. Germany-Netherlands cancelled. Terror continues.— Sergi Domínguez (@FutbolSergi) November 17, 2015
AP: Hannover police chief: authorities cancelled Germany-Netherlands friendly because they had "concrete information" about a bomb threat— Sky News Newsdesk (@SkyNewsBreak) November 17, 2015
Reuters: German official says no explosives found and no arrests made in Hanover— Sky News Newsdesk (@SkyNewsBreak) November 17, 2015